Saturday, August 21, 2010

New Location

We have high hopes of moving today. We will be living above a bank and a makeshift mosque. (The real mosque is being repaired.) Here is a picture of the building with my roommate standing in the doorway. We are living on the second floor, but have roof access to a really pretty space with view of the Atlantic. 


I realized I have left all my personal art supplies in the old, flea infested apartment, so I'll have to slip in there and save my art supplies. Needless to say, the wind has been taken out of my sails on making art, but I am confident I can regain my enthusiasm. With God, all things are possible!
En shah allah! (If God wills.)


On a lighter note, here is a statue in town of Sinbad pronounced "Sin-ee-bad" the sailor man. I am posting this one for my grandsons Micah, Caleb and Calvin and all my former students back in Redmond.


We came upon this statue when we went on a scavenger hunt throughout the city of Casablanca.
There were so many cars, fresh fruit, veggies, breads, sweet treats for Ramadan and so much more. Lots and lots of arabic words floating in and out of my head.


We visited various places of interest and I'm excited to make return trips soon:


  • an area known as Maarif, a cute part of town with an assortment of unique stores where I bought french pastries and Moroccan bread.
  • the Old Medina, the walled-in part of the original city where it is now a myriad of little streets lined with brimming shops of an assortment of goodies! I bought a jellaba to wear over anything to cover up as a woman in this culture. It is really pretty, and it was my first bartering experience.
  • Corniche, a beautiful boardwalk area on the ocean coast lined with palm trees. I'm hoping to get a walk in along there in the next week or so.
  • We successfully hired little red taxis and a "grande taxi" or white mercedes taxi for the longer leg of our trip. In the grande taxi there are always up to 3 people in the front and 4 in the back.
  • We saw an colorful guy selling something???? (See photo.)




......hours have passed, but we have moved. I have pictures to prove it! Here is our moving van and the moving van in front of our new apartment. Now to unpack and explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment