Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Grace

"This idea, that reality is something to which we must be returned at considerable cost, is one which is seldom understood by the casual reader, but it is one which is implicit in the Christian view of the world." To sum up, "I have found, in short, from reading my own writing, that my subject in fiction is the action of grace in territory held largely by the devil." --Flannery O'Connor


Today, I went home sick, well, actually, I went to Judy's and Lynn's apartment to sleep for the afternoon. My cold/flu had gotten the better of me, and I just didn't have the energy to teach. I am very appreciative of the various times of grace extended to me today.


The third graders extended grace to me in listening well and drawing camels when I was feeling poorly this morning. They laughed when I said to draw a baked potato first, but they actually did it. I'll try to post some of their drawings tomorrow.


Judy extended grace to me in letting me sleep on her bed, and she even taught my art class because the sub never showed up.


As I was slowly walking toward Judy and Lynn's apartment, a fellow teacher asked if I was OK. He took the time and extended grace to me and mentioned that if I needed medicine or anything to let he and his wife know. 


Jill and I have gotten a new "house helper" as they say around here. She speaks only french, but I was so happy I was really able to understand her and communicate in French. That's a huge grace that I have pulled some French out from the deeper parts of my brain. And, her cleaning and cooking was a grace. It was so nice to come home to a hot meal I did not have to cook.


Another grace that happened today was when one of the K-3 aides mentioned she lives near me and we should get together. She is Moroccan, so I was really happy about this invitation. I suggested tea, and she said, "Yes, you are welcome." "We will do it." (The emphasis is on "are welcome".)


Yes, I am still sick, but as I have slowed down a bit, I see grace extended throughout my day.


Thinking on my Flannery quote, don't we all just love a person who extends grace in our world? That person is heroic in your story and my story. And, isn't that just what Christmas is all about? The biggest, grandest extension of grace was Jesus.


With God's help, tomorrow, I hope to be an extender of grace. May it be the subject in my story as well.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post, Marcia. I love that quote too by Flannery. Wow. Sooo true...Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete