Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Art Making and Cow Hooves

My two drawings as demos. I started painting one.
I had a full day of art classes once again. I did a lesson throughout the day on the uniqueness of style of each artist. I am giving students permission to have their own style even when copying for learning purposes. I showed them paintings of various artists who have done drawings or paintings of trees. I showed them Starry Night by Van Gogh. Only one student seemed familiar with it. How nice to be introducing children to Van Gogh!


Each child did a drawing, and I said their trees could not be lollipops or the lower case letter i. It was painful for some to stretch and grow and make some different types of trees. I feel real progress was made in each class. It will be nice to see the finished trees and display some of the ones children are happiest with. I continue to teach the vocabulary of art so they can talk about their work intelligently.


Trees by students, different styles
It was a real rewarding moment to see the children become excited when they completed more and more of their work, while I kept coaching them along. One little girl went to get a friend after school to come see her trees drawing. Students who had been mis-behaving the first week of school, suddenly had aha moments. I am so thankful to everyone who has been praying for one particular class. Your prayers are being answered. Please keep praying for them with me. Thank you. They are God's artwork and precious to him.


It was also so nice to use the watercolor paints that were so generously donated by a second grade teacher. We couldn't have done the project without her! 






When we got home, we went to the bakeries to try to supplement dinner and breakfast. On our travels, we saw our favorite cow hooves hnoot (shop), and they were fine with us snapping a couple of pictures. Lots of carcasses were hanging up as well. Fun times as several boys were playing with the hooves, joking around. Never a dull moment on our main street.


Tomorrow is Morocco dress day, so I am set with my jellaba and matching shoes. I'll see if someone can get a picture of me in full regalia. It should be fun to honor our host country and their culture. I do enjoy my silk jellaba.


I'm doing a Ramadan days countdown......3......


Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh

1 comment: